PDA

View Full Version : Intex SWG/filter conversion

purplegirl
06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I have an Intex SWG/filter system. I have an iron problem, which requires me to clean off my cartridge daily (ugh!) I was wondering if anyone has converted their Intex pools to use regular filters or sand filters? If so how did you go about doing so? Did you need to buy a converter for the hose? etc...

purplegirl
07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Mods can I have this thread moved to the Pool equipment and operations section?

EDIT by Watermom --- OK. I moved it for you.

waterbear
07-02-2010, 06:24 PM
A sand filter and regular pool pump can be used on an Intex pool with no problems (and much benefit). Intex even sells adapters on their website for doing so (if you don't want to try and rig something up yourself.) Not sure about their SWG but I don't see why not.

ThaSatelliteGuy
08-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I have a Intex pool with the 2500gph intex pump, SWG and a 200# sand filter. (I just removed the cartridge from the intex) I hooked it up by cutting the cheesy white flex hose off right behind the flat part of the connection. Then you can go to Home Depot and get the 1 1/2 rubber couplings that have a hose clamp on each end and adapt straight to PVC. From there, you can plumb anything you want.

I am having problems getting the Intex pump to run a robot sufficiently, so I may be upgrading the pump soon, but as for adding the sand filter to the intex, I would NEVER RUN WITHOUT IT! Its the best thing I have ever done for my pool. (And my nerves!)

CarlD
08-01-2010, 08:26 AM
With a little Intex pool and pump a 150# sand filter should easily be MORE than enough. I LIKE the idea of removing the cart and just using the pump...but do you have a multiport valve so you can back wash?