PDA

View Full Version : Test Results

94ukgrad
06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
I have a 21,000 AGP. Using the Taylor K-2006 testing kit, my tests results are as follows:

FC= 0.5
CC= 0.0
TA=60
PH=7.7
CH=50
CYA= doesn't register yet, I added 3 lbs. of granular stabilizer last week and have used 3 tablets of tri-clor.

My question is, should I raise the TA up a little using baking soda or will this raise my PH to unacceptable levels? Since I have a vinyl liner, is my CH levels okay?

Also, how long does it take for CYA to show up in the tests? I have already ran out of CYA reagent. (just ordered more).

I have several more tri-clor tablets. Should I use these until my CYA in up to around 40 or should I just use bleach?

Thanks for your input. Really great site.

Mark.

waterbear
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
If you intend to use trichlor then raise the TA to around 100 ppm. I fyou are going to use bleach you can leave it where it is for now but if it drops any lower then bring it up to 80 ppm.
Calcium is not needed for a vinyl liner but water that soft does have more of a tendency to foam from organics. These will eventually be oxidized by the chlorine but, IMHO, the CH is better around 100 or so. This is not the recommendations of this forum but is based on my own experience so do not be afraid to disagree with me if you care to.:D

CYA can take anywhere from 48 hours to a week to register. How did you put it in the pool, how much, and when? The faster the water flow over it the faster it will dissolve and show up on testing. Also, how much CYA in total have you added?

94ukgrad
06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
If you intend to use trichlor then raise the TA to around 100 ppm. I fyou are going to use bleach you can leave it where it is for now but if it drops any lower then bring it up to 80 ppm.
Calcium is not needed for a vinyl liner but water that soft does have more of a tendency to foam from organics. These will eventually be oxidized by the chlorine but, IMHO, the CH is better around 100 or so. This is not the recommendations of this forum but is based on my own experience so do not be afraid to disagree with me if you care to.:D

CYA can take anywhere from 48 hours to a week to register. How did you put it in the pool, how much, and when? The faster the water flow over it the faster it will dissolve and show up on testing. Also, how much CYA in total have you added?

I disolved about 2 lbs of CYA in a sock hanging in the pool from end of water hose. This was done 7 days ago. Also, I have used 3 trichlor tab in the last 4 days by putting in the skimmer basket. They really dissolve fast in there.

waterbear
06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I disolved about 2 lbs of CYA in a sock hanging in the pool from end of water hose. This was done 7 days ago. Also, I have used 3 trichlor tab in the last 4 days by putting in the skimmer basket. They really dissolve fast in there.

Next time pour the CYA into the skimmer very slowly, run the filter 24.7 for about 2-3 days, don't clean your filter for a week and there you have it. In most cases you should see the CYA in a few days. No need to hang it in a sock unless you are trying to clear a green pool and backwashing a lot. Hanging the sock in the pool is a very slow way to add CYA IMHO.

Now in your first post you said you used 3 lbs and here you said 2 lbs. In either case in a 21K gal pool you are talking about only a 10 or 15 ppm increase and that is too low to measure!

Add an additional 4 lbs and then test for it. You should be right about where you need to be. without knowing the weight of the trichor tablets you used it's impossible to say now much CYA they added but since most tabs are around 6-8 oz I am guessing they added about another 6 or 7 ppm in total. Still below testing threshold.