PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my filter?

mbar
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Got back from vacation and my pool was a mess. Shocked it and the water is now blue and very cloudy. I tried to put in some DE (in a bucket and mixed with water) I saw the cloud of DE coming back in the pool:eek: I think there may be something wrong with the filter because it makes noise when I shut it off or when I switch to backwash, like the filter and all of the pipes are draining. Sometimes there is a bubble at the top of the pump basket that goes away after I let the filter finish all it's noises:confused: I hate to call a pool store to have them come out, but I will if I have to:mad: Any suggestions?

Poconos
06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi Marie,
Pretty sure your multiport valve has a problem. Probably that 'spyder' gasket. If it's draining back air is getting in and that's most likely from the waste line. When the pump is running have any water coming out that waste line? Also to verify that's where the air is getting in can you cap it and see if the water drains when the pump is turned off? Doesn;t take much of an air leak for this to happen. What's the model number of the filter and valve?
Al
Edit: Just curious if while you were away if anyone else was taking care of the pool and operated that valve. If they tried to change positions with the pump running that would be a good reason for the gasket to get screwed up.

mbar
06-28-2010, 11:03 PM
That sounds right, the multiport was leaking at the beginning of the season, my husband thought that the o ring was dried up and it fixed itself when it ran for a while. I had my nephew take care of the pool, but he tried to get the cover off the in line chlorinator and messed it up so he turned the pump off and the pool was just sitting there from Monday till Sat. I thought the filter was not working properly since I opened the pool. My filter is a hayward pro series Model Parts S-210T, S220T, S244T, I don't know which one it is till I look tomorrow. I am reading from the owners guide. I can see the part you mentioned. I will have to see if my husband can fix it, otherwise I will have to call the pool store, and i don't think they are too happy with me since I now open and close my own pool:D Thanks for the quick relpy.

Poconos
06-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi Marie,
The S-244T is the same one I have. My valve is an SP-711 series, probably the same or similar. Put the valve handle in between positions to relieve spring tension on the mechanism and remove the 6 nuts and bolts. Comes right apart. Look inside and you'll see the gasket. It's typical for one or more of the spokes to come out of its channel and get crunched. Pretty easy to replace. The dogwork is cleaning out the channels which you can do with a flat blade screwdriver that's small enough to fit in the channels. Takes some scraping. Hayward recommends crazy glue, I use silicone seal, and somebody recently suggested an automotive gasket adhesive. I think that is a good idea and should work best. Keep me posted as you progress.
Al

mbar
06-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks Al, I will keep you posted:)